The GAZ M1 (”Emka”) was a passenger car produced by the Russian automaker GAZ between 1936 and 1943 at their plant in Gorky (the name of the city reverted to Nizhny Novgorod in 1990).
The car has subsequently become an icon of its time in Russia, having been relatively popular, and featuring in film and photographic images of a defining period in the history of the state. Systematic production ended in 1941, but the factory was able to continue assembling cars from existing inventory of parts and components till 1943. 62,888 were produced.
Much of the car’s production period coincided with the Second World War, and many Emkas were used by the army as staff cars. Various special versions were produced such as the Gaz M - FAI and BA -20 armoured car models.